The Great Escape

Does anyone else remember what is perhaps one of the greatest films of all time, with a star studded cast to good to be true?

The Great Escape was loosely based upon a real life event involving a POW Camp in WW2.

A superb film, it had action, suspense and certainly a very sad ending.....over 50 Prisoners were shot dead whilst trying to escape, however none were injured.

I read a very interesting fact regarding Charls Bronson. In the film, Bronson's character was involved in the digging of the tunnels. Apparently in real life Bronson had a severe case of claustophobia and was literally terified to death whilst acting the role. He agreed to continue in the role only because he believed his fear would add a level of realisim to the film, that no one else could achieve.

An exciting film, a true classic and rates a strong 8.5 on the "Snooks Scale."

I haven't seen that film and don't know how I missed it. A lot of great actors who I really like. I have to keep my eyes open when it comes on again.

I haven't seen that film and don't know how I missed it. A lot of great actors who I really like. I have to keep my eyes open when it comes on again.
    You have got to be kidding me?

I returned to this thread because today i saw a documentary on this very escape, a true historical insight to what happened. I am actually amazed how so many of the little things in the film actually happened in real life.

Now at the end of the film, you may remember that 50 prisoners were shot escaping.....none injured, all fatally shot

Well, the documantary explained how, who and why....it happened pretty much as in the film except that besides the large group that were machine gunned, there was about 9 shot solo or in pairs, by pistol. Just sheer execution. What i didnt know was that after the war, the War Tribunal arrested and charged at least 13 German Officers with these shootings, they were tried and then sentenced to Death. I believe 13 were hanged.

The remains of the POW's that were executed were exhumed from all locations and returned to Poland, where they now lay at peace.

I am so happy i saw this documentary and it was an amazing explanation of what is one of the best films of all times

Thread Information